Rummy is one of the most famous & interesting card games across the globe. The popularity of this game has increased tremendously with the availability of online play. It is a skill-based card game that requires players to be quick-witted and use strategy to win. India’s love affair with rum goes back centuries. It has also been featured in many Hindi movies. It is one of the best card games to play with family and friends to spend quality time together. Rummy is very easy to play and is absolutely fun. There are also large tournaments where rummy players compete against each other to become the champion. So, let’s get started playing Rummy.
How to Play Rummy?
The online rummy card game is played among 2 to 6 players. The dealer of the game deals 13 cards from two decks of cards to each player. Rummy has two jokers: a printed joker and a wild joker, which is a randomly selected suit price tag. The player must place the 13 cards in a valid order and set by choosing or discarding cards. A player can declare and win the game only when he or she has arranged the 13 cards in two valid sequences (including one pure sequence) and the remaining cards in any valid sequence or combination. If there is no pure sequence, the game cannot be declared.
Pure sequence. A sequence of three or more cards of the same suit. In a pure sequence, a player cannot use any jokers. The sequence is as follows: 6♦️,7♦️,8♦️.
Impure sequence. This is similar to a pure sequence where 3 or more cards of the same suit are combined. The difference is that the player can substitute any joker card to complete the sequence. Thus, an impure sequence would look like K♠️, Q♠️, PJ (printed joker).
Sets. Here, players make sequences of three or more cards of the same rank, but these cards can be of different suits. A player can use any joker to complete the set. Examples are 8♦️, 8♠️, and 8♥.
Tips To Win
- By understanding and remembering the rules of Rummy, you will be able to make quick and informed decisions. In this way, you can strategize and outsmart your opponents.
- Discard high-value cards such as aces, kings, queens and jacks. These cards will increase your point load if your opponent announces them first.
- At first, focus on combining your cards into a clean sequence. If you can’t do this, you won’t be able to announce your hand.
There are several variations of Rummy that compete for speed, flexibility and strategy. The most common rummy variations are
- Pool rummy. Pool Rummy: The entry fee that a player pays to join a table is known as pool rummy. This money will be delivered to the winner.
- Deal Rummy. In this variation, participants play rummy with their allotted chips at the start of a deal and make a predetermined number of trades. At the end of each transaction, there is a winner who wins all the chips. However, at the end of the predetermined number of transactions, the player with the highest number of chips is selected as the winner.
- Point Count Rummy. This is a fast-paced game. Points are distributed in predetermined rupee values (e.g., 2 rupees)—the sum of all the opponents’ points x the rupee point value. For example, suppose 5 players play for 2 rupees per point, and one player is declared the winner, while the other four players lose by 10, 20, 30, and 40 points, respectively. The prize is calculated as 2 x (10 + 20 + 30 + 40) = 200 rupees.